- The tragedy that occurred in Orlando nightclub Pulse last weekend will forever be remembered as one of the worst terror attacks the U.S. has experienced. The victims, their loved ones, the residents of Orlando, and the global LGBTQ community are in our thoughts and prayers. Looking for ways to help? Donations of blood or money are always appreciated; House of Yes is also hosting Glitterball (no affiliation to our site), a fundraiser with a stacked lineup that features Nomi Ruiz, Wrecked, JPatt, and lots more, on Sunday.
- Palisades was abruptly shut down last week, possibly for building violations. Fingers crossed they’ll be back up and running later this summer…
- Even more venue bummers: Brooklyn Mirage was reportedly shut down again by the City. No official word yet on what will happen to tomorrow’s planned Cityfox event, which Richie Hawtin is scheduled to headline. (However, according to brand-spanking-new Twitter account iscityfoxshutdown?, the event is definitely a no go.)
- Festival season is upon us, and Mysteryland has returned to Upstate NY this weekend for three stacked days of electronic music (even more diverse than previous years).
- Verboten’s lease is being auctioned off, and the current high bidder is apparently Pacha’s Eddie Dean.
- Resident Advisor published a great read on “Real estate, gentrification and nightlife in New York” this week.
- Happy 1st Birthday, Black Flamingo! The subterranean dance club/cocktail bar/veggie taqueria is celebrating with a stacked Thursday-Saturday lineup that includes sets by Tony Humphries (tonight) and Scott Grooves, Fatik, and Reel Good’s JKriv + Aaron Dae (tomorrow) — roll through with your best wishes (but remember to show up before 12 if you prefer not to pay a cover).
- The second edition of bimonthly Gatehouse Fridays is happening right now! Come check out the Kings County Distillery in its newly revamped Brooklyn Navy Yard space, dance to music by Raphael Ernesto and Jose or Franco?, and enjoy the drinks and castle-esque setting. (Prefer to happy hour in Manhattan? Select Summer Fridays with resident Project Matt and special guests is always a good option.)
- We’re super happy to have one of our favorite DJs/producers in the world, Rodion, back in NYC after way too long. The Rome-born, Berlin-based music maestro will be playing Saturday as half of Alien Alien, his side project with Hugo Sanchez, headlining the NYC Porn Film Festival Afterparty at 315 Ten Eyck. (The lineup also includes Wrecked’s Ryan Smith, Katie Rex, a special 100% Silk secret guest, and Ron Jeremy on host duties.) On Sunday, he’ll play Le Bain’s Ete d’Amour party alongside Cristiano, Antipop, and Higgins.
- NYC nightlife mainstay Santos Party House abruptly closed last week following controversy over its hosting of a neo-nazi oi festival (which may or may not be related to the closing). Williamsburg’s Black Bear Bar, which hosted the first day of the same festival, had cancelled the second day due to a public outcry, claiming it was not aware of the festival’s ties to hate groups.
- In other closing news, Brooklyn Mirage’s summer ’16 season has been prematurely halted by the FDNY. (Watch this space for updates; as of now, no additional word has been issued by the venue.)
We’ve got to keep things on the short side this week, but we wouldn’t leave you hanging without our top picks for where to dance in NYC over the next three days (as always, the most essential events are marked by **); you can also check out our calendar for the full list of what’s going on. […]
Following a pretty sweet taste of early summer, Friday the 13th has put quite a damper on our excitement levels with its gray skies and unwanted precipitation. However, it looks like nice weather will resume sometime tomorrow, so get ready to enjoy all of the al fresco dancing you can manage over the rest of […]
It’s been a hectic (and dreary) week, so we’re going to jump right into this weekend’s best dancefloor happenings in NYC (as always, the most essential events are marked by **); you can also check out our calendar for the full list of what’s going on. See you under the discoball…
We made it to May, guys… Things are looking up! Check out a few quick updates before diving into our breakdown of the best NYC dancefloors to hit this weekend. Ready to usher you into summer, our fave al fresco happy hour kicks off its ’16 season at Battery Harris next Thursday (which also happens […]
We need to keep it brief this week, but there’s still lots to keep you busy below. Quick shoutout to everyone who came out for our night at 3001: Odyssey last Saturday; of particular note: the roof views, the sunset, Nitemind’s visuals, and amazing sets from Antoni Maiovvi, Patrick Russell, R Gamble, Maroje T, and […]