- This weekend marks the returns of several summer favorites: Tiki Disco is back at The Well starting this Sunday, The Roof at Output reopens as of today (with Teengirl Fantasy tonight, 808 with Derrick Carter tomorrow, and ReSolute on Sunday), and Mister Sunday starts up at its new home, Nowadays. More signs of summer: A new bimonthly open-air happy hour (Gatehouse Fridays with DJs JoseorFranco? and Raphael Ernesto) kicks off on Friday, May 20, at Kings County Distillery at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, Fixed and Good Room are hosting a rad boat party on Sunday the 22nd with Marvin & Guy, and Le Bain is almost ready to bring back Été d’Amour Sundays. (And don’t forget that you can already get your balearic happy hour needs met every Thursday until the fall at Air a Danser with Steve Shakewell and special guests at Battery Harris!)
- Red Bull Music Academy’s 2016 New York programming has been pretty excellent. Although a few big ones have passed, you can still get in on the following highly recommended events, like tonight’s Freestyle! celebration with Jellybean Benitez, Louie Vega, Shannon, Lisa Lisa, and Judy Torres, tomorrow’s return of the Brooklyn Flea Record Fair, and tomorrow night’s Bossa-resident-packed Technopolis.
- House of Vans just announced its summer ’16 lineup: RSVP now for next Thursday’s “house party” with Jon Hopkins, The Field, The Black Madonna, and Fixed’s JDH and Dave P, and check back soon to register for June 29’s event with Neon Indian, Factory Floor, and Fox Ann Foxmann.
- Good Room is pretty much going to ruin any chance you have to sleep next week, with huge lineups almost every night: The Field play live there on Tuesday, Fixed present Optimo with Fatima Yamaha live next Friday, Bicep play with Jacques Renault, Billy Caldwell, and Justin Strauss next Saturday, and Sunday the 22nd is the awesome boat party we mentioned above. We ESPECIALLY recommend you come out next Thursday, when our resident Facets will open for heavyweights Ewan Pearson and KiNK (playing live) while Soul 2 Seoul hold down the Bad Room.
- Other Music announced that it will close its doors on June 25.
- Poland’s internationally beloved Unsound Festival is hosting several major events in NYC in June as part of its “Dislocation project.”
- A suspiciously named sports bar (“Tiltz”) was thought to be opening in the space formerly occupied by techno dive Wreck Room… but it turns out it’s only opening NEXT to where Wreck Room was located. #NuBrooklyn
- Ready to usher you into summer, our fave al fresco happy hour kicks off its ’16 season at Battery Harris next Thursday (which also happens to be Cinco de Mayo): Air a Danser returns with resident Steve Shakewell and an already slamming calendar of balearic-friendly special guest DJs, including Eugene Tambourine (5/5), Daniel Briggs and Eli Cohen (5/12), Jeremy Campbell (5/19), and Hugh Herrera and Dirty Dave (5/26).
- 3001: Odyssey ends its three weeks of dancefloor debauchery with a roar this weekend, starting with a Party Line edition tonight (Willie Burns and Chupacabras reunite for Chupa’s farewell to NYC, sharing the decks with Analog Soul and resident BLT), hosting an afternoon rooftop affair tomorrow with Kaviar Disco Club, Jacques Renault, and Lloydski, and closing with an extra-special Safer at Night x The Umbrella finale (special guests TBA).
- Heads up that some of your favorite free spots may soon (or may already be) starting to charge a cover on weekends. Following the Bossa model of “free before midnight, $10 after,” TBA Brooklyn has started to charge for some Friday and Saturday events (though they are throwing in a complimentary drink with cover), and Black Flamingo will be following suit next month. (On the bright side, weeknights are still free!)
- Last but not least, we’ve got a pair of three-day GA passes to this year’s Mysteryland festival to give away! Follow us on Twitter and retweet our Mysteryland contest updates to enter!
As we inch ever so closer to summer’s return, you can start plotting some nice-weather parties on your calendar: Tiki Disco has already announced its 2016 schedule (kicking off exactly one month from today), Output has confirmed its first rooftop party of the year on May 21 (Dark Disco with Eats Everything), our favorite balearic […]
Don’t let winter’s sudden (and mostly unwanted) return get you down: There are plenty of dancefloors to keep you nice and warm this weekend. First, let’s run through a few breaking news items… Verboten’s trouble continues… In addition to being “seized” by NY State last week for failure to pay over $360,000 in sales taxes […]
April’s here, and we’ve got some exciting news for you! Starting this weekend, we’ll have a new name and a new direction we think will be right up your alley! Meet Gutterballnyc.com: your online destination for all things bowling in NYC, including every week’s league meetups, tournaments, and other special events around the City’s bowling establishments. […]
We’re BAA-aacckkk! Apologies again for the break; read on for a few updates: We had a blast last night at our Bad Room party at Good Room with Nathan Gregory Wilkins (Cowboy Rhythmbox/Comeme/Phantasy) and our resident Facets! Facets also debuted on The Lot Radio Tuesday with a special live set from Pixelife: Have a listen […]
Apologies for the short notice, but we’ll be taking a little bit of a hiatus over the next two weekends due to travel. However, we’ve got dozens of NYC’s best events for the next few weeks listed on our calendar — for news, follow us on Twitter, which we will continue to update as we’re […]