Feels like just yesterday we were talking about all the amazing stuff to look forward to in NYC this summer… but all good things must come to an end, and we’re faced with the last weekend before Labor Day. Yes, it’s difficult to come to terms with, but you’ve still got a good month or so of (hopefully) beautiful weather left. With that in mind, we present you with a summer must-do checklist for all the dancing fun you should get on immediately (and if you’ve already been there and done that, redos of good times are never a mistake):
- Party on a rooftop: With built-in gorgeous views, dancing to lush tunes on The Roof at Output (Wednesday through Friday 5-10pm and 3-10pm Saturday and Sunday) and Le Bain (Friday and Sunday late afternoons/evenings) makes for a magical experience, particularly at sunset. (And for the night owls/early risers, Bushwick A/V Saturdays — 4am-2pm — offer you a chance to hear killer sets as the sun comes up.)
- Go for a cruise: Blkmarket Membership Goes Sailing with Matthew Dekay and Fahad on September 11 and again on September 26 with Michael Mayer and Blond:ish. Tiki Disco and Good Room will also team up for their second boat party of the summer on September 6.
- Dance al fresco on a patio: Just two seasons in, Thursday Air a Danser happy hours at Battery Harris have become a summer tradition, thanks to Steve ShakeWell and a rotating roster of outstanding balearic-loving DJs from both NYC and all over the world (plus, it’s held rain or shine and there’s never a cover). Mister Sunday holds court at Industry City from 3-9pm each Sunday (Twitch from Optimo will join for a special set on September 20), and while it’s guaranteed to be packed, Warm Up at MoMA PS1 also ensures an eclectic program of electronic music talent each Saturday afternoon. Just announced: Level will throw another summer BBQ on September 19, this time going all the way until the next morning — the lineup features Marcos Cabral, Terreke, Antenes, James Place, and more TBA.
- Get to the beach: For most Sundays this summer season, Nervous Records and Rong Music have been teaming up to bring heavy-hitting DJs to Coney Art Walls in Coney Island. Tropical Goth also heads to Rockaway on September 6 for a Labor Day techno rager at Rippers, featuring Alex From Queens, Entro Senestre, FBI Warning, and lots more.
- Attend an outdoor music festival: Sustain/Release‘s second year (September 11-13) looks like an amazing way to spend three days upstate, but if you’ve missed out on tickets, Verboten has a few more StageONE events coming up (including one on the 6th with Maceo Plex, DJ Tennis, and Rebolledo and another on the 19th with Carl Craig, Moodymann, Floorplan, and Audion). Cityfox will present another all-day/all-night music marathon with Adriatique, Frank & Tony, Alexi Delano, and many more at The Brooklyn Mirage on September 26. And while it’s veered far off into the “EDM Zone,” Electric Zoo has maintained a Sunday School stage with sets from the likes of Adam Beyer and The Martinez Brothers; The Chemical Brothers’ headline set on September 4 is also sure to be legendary.
A few other quick updates:
- Have a listen to our August Top 20, which features tons of brand-new excellence for your ears from the likes of Tunnel Signs, Escort, In Flagranti, AFX, Simian Mobile Disco, and more.
- Check out this nice read from Forbes on the Discwoman collective.
- A new compilation on Golf Channel pays tribute to NYC’s beloved music sanctuary/Italian restaurant Mangiami with new tracks by former regulars like Alex From Tokyo, Populette, The Loose Control Band, Thugfucker, and more.
Below are our top picks for where to dance in NYC over the next three days (as always, the most essential events are marked by **); you can also check out our calendar for the full list of what’s going on.
Friday, August 28
⇒ Sublimate & Ruse Labs present Brett Dancer, Marcellus Pittman, Turtle Bugg & Sagotsky at a secret location**
⇒ Confused House with Maria Chavez, Pure Matrix (live), Shy Eyez & Bookworms at Bossa Nova Civic Club
Saturday, August 29
⇒ ReSolute presents Matias Aguayo, The Black Madonna, Galcher Lustwerk, A.Arias & Axel Bartsch at a secret location**
⇒ Let’s Play House with Jacques Renault, Son of Sound & William Robbins in The Safari Room at El Cortez**
⇒ Bushwick A/V Saturday Rooftop Afters with Paul Raffaele, Faso, Nash, Free Magic & more at a secret location
Sunday, August 30
⇒ Coney Art Walls Sundays with DJ Spun, Nikola Baytala, Alex Graham, and Kike & Nadav at Surf Pavilion (Coney Island)**
More at the full calendar here.
Are we missing your favorite party? Hit us up here: email@example.com