We have, sadly, returned from the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen to the filthy-snow-covered tundra known as Brooklyn… While we missed a lot of great music last weekend, we still managed to find some pretty excellent DJ sets in PDC (our former stomping grounds circa 2010). Don’t let the hype fool you: While there is definitely less happening there than during BPM, the rest of the year can be more satisfying for dancing on the beach or in a club (or, if you’re lucky, the jungle). Planning a trip? We highly recommend you hit up Canibal Royal by day, Rufino Mezcal and Ula Gula for some open-air bar lounging (or eating), and La Mezcalinna and La Santanera for late night. Also keep in mind that you’re likely to find nice DJ sets in some pretty small and random places in Playa, which can sometimes make for the best times!
Now back to reality for some quick news updates:
- Sorry, guys: Bossa is still closed this weekend…
- BUT, Sustain/Release will be back September 11-13, 2015!
- Yes, the rumors have been confirmed: Björk dropped by the Bad Room at Good Room last weekend for an impromptu (iPhone) DJ set.
- While we unfortunately had to skip our usual contests this week due to being away, we’ll be back with lots more next week. Follow us on Twitter and retweet to win tickets to Output’s INPUT party next Thursday with Claude VonStroke and the Techno Valentine party on the 14th.
- Our friend and amazing DJ Paul Raffaele (Most Excellent Unltd.) has just launched Love Injection, a highly designed New York-based dance music fanzine available for free in its print version and just $2 for a digital download. Find out where to pick it up, and check out the launch party next week at Battery Harris.
- Save the date: We’re back at The Graham on Saturday, Feb. 21! Details coming soon…
- Weekdays are for dancing, too: Don’t miss the Zeitgeist party next Thursday (2/12) at Verboten with Etienne de Crécy, All Dom Wrong, and Luka Son of Wolf.
- The Brooklyn Flea Record Fair makes a return this weekend and next, albeit in a “mini” and (thankfully) indoor version.
Our top dancefloor picks for the next three days are outlined below (as always, the most essential events are marked by **); you can also check out our calendar for the full list of what’s going on. See you on the dancefloor…