You live in NYC, so we know you understand that life gets hectic. Still, we hope to make up for our recent lighter updates with a jam-packed edition of YWSH. Read on for the dancefloor news you need to know, and scroll down to see our recommendations for this weekend’s best events.
- The Lot Radio might just end up the best thing to happen to NYC dance music in 2016. The online station, which soft-launched just a few weeks back, has already filled its broadcast schedule with a veritable who’s who of local heavyhitters. (Record selectors have already included the likes of Joakim, Man Power, Jacques Renault, the Discwoman collective, and Lloydski, who is broadcasting almost daily.) The real brick-and-mortar location exists in a shipping container in a formerly unused lot at 17 Nassau Avenue near the Greenpoint/Williamsburg border; tune into thelotradio.com to listen AND watch live broadcasts. Future plans include selling snacks and coffee from a to-go window. Hear what you missed so far via the station’s online archive.
- With its next big festival just around the corner (May 19-22 in Durham, NC), Moogfest is ramping things up with special events around the country. Lucky for us, they’re bringing their Dial-Tones workshop to the Ace Hotel next Saturday, including a rad afterparty (with sets by Patricia, Antenes, Via App, and Bookworms) that’s free with an RSVP here.
- (Another) new venue alert: The Lively, a new spot in Meatpacking, recently opened. Although we haven’t yet had the chance to check it out, bookings like tomorrow’s Darshan Jesrani (Metro Area) and Justin Strauss (a/jus/ted, Whatever/Whatever, Milk ‘N’ Cookies) doubleheader have us intrigued.
- Esteemed record haven Halcyon has reopened its doors in yet another (hopefully more permanent) spot, sharing Output’s space in what was formerly used for Stilton House. In addition to its highly curated, 5000-title-strong stock of vinyl, the shop will revive its in-store DJ events and eventually feature a light fare café by day/cocktail bar by night (which will also include Roberta’s pizza).
- Mark your calendar: Our resident Facets is back in the Bad Room at Good Room on March 10! He’ll be joined by Rinsed’s Blacky II and The Deep’s David Kiss for their debut set as Acid Eastern; the main room will feature Oneman b2b My Nu Leng, Vik Rai, and more.
- And speaking of Rinsed… the debaucherous dance party is spawning its own label. The Umbrella will officially launch February 29 with its G.O.D. Vol. I compilation (which will be free to download). In addition, get your tickets now for the new label’s inaugural immersive event, which will feature a special live performance by the legendary Jamie Principle.
- Last but not least, DJ Mag has quietly started a Friday night live broadcast series in NYC. Streaming live on YouTube, you can also RSVP to attend the sessions in person at Space Ibiza NY; tonight’s guests are the always excellent Walker & Royce. Between this and the Mixmag/Smirnoff Sound Collective series (also held Friday evenings), your after-work options for TGIF celebrating are getting a whole lot more attractive.
Below are our top picks for where to dance in NYC over the next three days (as always, the most essential events are marked by **); you can also check out our calendar for the full list of what’s going on. See you on the dancefloor…
Friday, February 19
⇒ Sublimate x Ruse Labs present Soichi Terada (live), Eli Escobar & Max McFerren at a secret location**
⇒ confused house with Entro Senestre (live), Cienfuegos (live), Nick Klein (live) & Bookworms (live) at Bossa Nova Civic Club
⇒ Four on the Floor: Mixed Doubles with Eriko & The Duchess vs. Kamui & DJ DOMEWRECKA at LP n Harmony
⇒ Bushwick A/V Saturday Afters: Terry Francis, A.Arias, Nathan Kersaint, Richard Rozen & more at a secret location
Saturday, February 20
⇒ The Bunker x Interdimensional Transmissions present No Way Back with Derek Plaslaiko, Erika, Carlos Souffront, BMG, Patrick Russell & Bryan Kasenic at Market Hotel**
⇒ Strict Machine with Marcus Webb, Kiddo Sincere, Dead on the Internet, Davey P & Adakazaam at Alphaville**
Sunday, February 21
⇒ Religion Recs Comp 01 Release Party with Shawn O’Sullivan, John Fell, Peter Fonda & more at Bossa Nova Civic Club**
More at the full calendar here.
Are we missing your favorite party? Hit us up here: firstname.lastname@example.org