We’ve got LOTS to tell you about, so let’s jump right in!
- We’re helping to throw a shindig at the always awesome Kinfolk Studios TONIGHT (Friday) from 10p-4a. Music will be of the house/disco/etc. variety, courtesy of three of our friends and favorite local DJs: Chupacabras (former Fender Bender resident/co-producer of recent excellent remixes for Lemonade and Little Boots with Fixed’s JDH), Max Barabas (Autobrennt/as seen on DFA), and up-and-comer Facets (Belgrade/London). There’s no cover, but plenty of good times to go around. Get all the details HERE (along with some links to the types of sonic treats you’re in store for) — if you still need an excuse to come dance, we’ve got even more reasons for you HERE. Hope to catch you there!
- One of summer’s most anticipated series returns tomorrow! The MoMA PS1 Warm Up season opener is a rager out the gate: Juan Atkins, Lee Gamble, HEATSICK and more. Get details HERE. (Oh, and remember this year the tickets at the door are $3 more, so get yours in advance if you can!)
- It’s PRIDE weekend, so go out and show your support at the multitude of events happening around the city (check out our calendar for some especially good ones, like Sunday at The Ides and Horse Meat Disco/SPANK at Cielo tonight).
- We received a shocking (in the very best way) surprise gift on Tuesday when Brooklyn’s Blondes abruptly released without warning their beast of a new (full-length!) record, Swisher. WOW pretty much sums it up: This is quite possibly record of the year. We can’t wait to hear the new material live (and we’ll definitely keep you abreast of any scheduled dates as we hear them) — check out the stream for yourself HERE.
- Can’t get enough Tiki Disco? We feel you. Instead of waiting another 9 days, you can now follow the party people down to Philly for some Independence Day fun. And, because they (Eli Escobar, Lloydski & Andy Pry) do this party for YOU, they’ve even organized a shuttle down and back for y’all. Get the deets HERE and HERE. (We’ll also have all your NYC 4th fun posted up on the calendar shortly!)
- Mad kudos to Boiler Room for showcasing some incredibly uplifting, buoyant, ridiculously danceworthy sets by Throne of Blood’s excellent Populette (LIVE) and the legendary Justin Strauss (half of a/jus/ted with Eddie Mars and very likely the best DJ today in all of NYC). We’re thrilled so many people outside of NYC were able to enjoy some of our finest in all their glory, and super proud of the amazing music coming out of our city at the moment. Don’t worry if you missed it: Sets should be posted up soon HERE.
- BREAKING: If you’re planning on stopping by Bossa Nova Civic Club in the near future, you may want to check their Facebook page for the latest. Seems they’ve been forced into some capacity restrictions and will likely be unable to let anyone in after about midnight until some things get sorted. Bummer, but we’re confident Bossa will be back to full rage status in no time.
Whew… it’s been a busy week! Follow us on Twitter to keep up with the latest news on NYC’s best underground dance music happenings, as well as general info on new releases around the world, venue notices, upcoming tour dates, and so much more.
Which brings us to… all the best events of the weekend have been hand-picked for you below (as always, the events that get our most glowing recommendations are marked by **), but you can also check out our calendar for the full list of what’s goin’ on. See you on the dancefloor!