While it’s still officially a couple of weeks away, summer is definitely (in spirit, at least) in full effect here in NYC. The weather may have veered off course a few times this week, but we’re definitely heading in the right direction. Sleep is at a premium, music lovers: Your days and nights are now plagued with decisions about which boat parties, rooftop thangs, outdoor afters, al fresco happy hours (“befores”), etc. to attend. We strive to make those choices a tiny bit easier for you below.
Before we get into this weekend’s most recommended NYC dancefloors, we’ve got a few updates for you:
- Happy 9 Years to underground legends Blkmarket Membership! To mark the occasion, Blkmarket is throwing a series of parties helmed by some serious heavy-hitters. Part 1 kicks off tomorrow (Saturday, 6/6) with an extended set from Masomenos, the U.S. debut of Makam, and the NYC debut of Salar Ansari, along with residents Taimur & Fahad. Dates to get on your calendar: 6/13’s Boat Party with Sven Weisemann and Alle Farben, 6/26’s extended set by Robag Wruhme, and 6/28’s day party with Black Coffee and more.
- Another party to highlight this weekend: Party Line, BLT and Ben Manzone’s roving rager, features guests Mike Simonetti and Analog Soul (DatKat & Jacky Sommer) tomorrow (Saturday, 6/6), along with aesthetics by A.POP, open vodka bar from 10-11, and even a Jamaican buffet from 10-midnight! $15 advanced tix are still available if you act fast, and don’t forget to RSVP for the location.
- The incredibly well-received Sustain/Release festival is returning to Camp Lakota this September 11-13! The good news: The lineup is STACKED with the likes of Kassem Mosse, The Black Madonna, Beautiful Swimmers, Galcher Lustwerk, Anthony Parasole, Veronica Vasicka, Via App, and more to be announced. The not-so-good news: High demand has forced the fest to go “members-only,” so start asking around for friends who went last year to add you as their “non-member guest” and be ready to buy your tickets when Round Three opens up on June 16!
- Tomorrow brings the first official party to Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Place in Williamsburg), Razor-N-Tape’s new monthly REEL GOOD. With Soul Clap’s Eli Goldstein in the dual role of the venue’s owner and music director, we feel pretty confident that Black Flamingo is a spot you’ll be frequenting. We also hear there will rarely be a cover, the vibes will be intimate, the decor will be impressive, and the analog soundsystem will be superb. Check our calendar or Black Flamingo’s Facebook page for more on future events. (As of now, we’ve heard that Jacques Renault and Justin Miller are scheduled for Friday the 12th). P.S. Basement party fans, rejoice: This club is your new home.
- Another new spot opening in Williamsburg this weekend is James Murphy’s “natural wine bar,” The Four Horsemen. Music situation there still TBD…
- In case you missed it, MoMA PS1 announced the line-ups for this year’s Warm Up series, which kicks off on June 27 with the Pachanga Boys, The Black Madonna, and more!
- Lastly, we hope to have our post-festival wrap-up/photo gallery for this year’s Movement up next week! Watch this space…