The realization has finally sunk in that… WE SURVIVED WINTER! The mood in NYC considerably and collectively lightened this week, as we all could finally leave the house pain-free (and, at times, miraculously coat-free) and walk around without wiping out on some black ice — not too much longer to hold out until the days of boats and beaches and rooftops return!
This week’s updates of note:
- Heard lots of shrieks of joy around Brooklyn last night? Yes, Bossa is BACK!
- We also hear through the grapevine that TBA may be looking at a reopening soon (possibly April). (For more on the background of the venue’s struggle to reopen, check out this in-depth article.)
- Red Bull Music Academy NYC announced its May 2015 schedule: Lots of nice ones this year, including another Brooklyn Flea Record Fair, a Sleeping Bag Records night with Kurtis Mantronik, Nicky Siano & Morgan Geist at Good Room, and a huge Nothing Changes showcase at Output. Tickets are on sale now!
- Happy 1st birthday to Verboten! The venue is celebrating its first year with a series of events, including tonight’s Carl-Craig-headlined party, tomorrow’s event with Maya Jane Coles and Lauren Flax, and Sunday’s no-cover brunch with lots of food and drink specials, plus sets from Radio Slave and club residents. Verboten is also set to kick off a new membership program that offers reduced admission, purchase rewards, and access to special events/merchandise. (P.S. We are also super stoked to see Erol Alkan on the club’s calendar! He will grace their decks Thursday, April 9.)
- Long-running collective/label Trouble & Bass have decided to call it a day, marking their conclusion with the release of the final T&B compilation on March 31 and last party at Verboten on April 18.
- We recently discovered this pretty cool project called 143: “143 is an online publication dedicated to the art of the DJ. We invite DJs to play an intimate private session at our Brooklyn loft that culminates in an in-depth interview and a mixtape reflective of their influence and taste.”
- Congrats to one of our favorite NYC venues, Good Room, on being named Best Nightclub by New York Magazine!
- Finally, we are STILL in dire need of some extra help, particularly in the forms of feature writing, photography, and social media/promotion. If this sounds like you, please drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org.