Following a pretty sweet taste of early summer, Friday the 13th has put quite a damper on our excitement levels with its gray skies and unwanted precipitation. However, it looks like nice weather will resume sometime tomorrow, so get ready to enjoy all of the al fresco dancing you can manage over the rest of the weekend and beyond. Before we get to our dancefloor recommendations for the next three days, check out a few noteworthy updates below.
- This weekend marks the returns of several summer favorites: Tiki Disco is back at The Well starting this Sunday, The Roof at Output reopens as of today (with Teengirl Fantasy tonight, 808 with Derrick Carter tomorrow, and ReSolute on Sunday), and Mister Sunday starts up at its new home, Nowadays. More signs of summer: A new bimonthly open-air happy hour (Gatehouse Fridays with DJs JoseorFranco? and Raphael Ernesto) kicks off on Friday, May 20, at Kings County Distillery at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, Fixed and Good Room are hosting a rad boat party on Sunday the 22nd with Marvin & Guy, and Le Bain is almost ready to bring back Été d’Amour Sundays. (And don’t forget that you can already get your balearic happy hour needs met every Thursday until the fall at Air a Danser with Steve Shakewell and special guests at Battery Harris!)
- Red Bull Music Academy’s 2016 New York programming has been pretty excellent. Although a few big ones have passed, you can still get in on the following highly recommended events, like tonight’s Freestyle! celebration with Jellybean Benitez, Louie Vega, Shannon, Lisa Lisa, and Judy Torres, tomorrow’s return of the Brooklyn Flea Record Fair, and tomorrow night’s Bossa-resident-packed Technopolis.
- House of Vans just announced its summer ’16 lineup: RSVP now for next Thursday’s “house party” with Jon Hopkins, The Field, The Black Madonna, and Fixed’s JDH and Dave P, and check back soon to register for June 29’s event with Neon Indian, Factory Floor, and Fox Ann Foxmann.
- Good Room is pretty much going to ruin any chance you have to sleep next week, with huge lineups almost every night: The Field play live there on Tuesday, Fixed present Optimo with Fatima Yamaha live next Friday, Bicep play with Jacques Renault, Billy Caldwell, and Justin Strauss next Saturday, and Sunday the 22nd is the awesome boat party we mentioned above. We ESPECIALLY recommend you come out next Thursday, when our resident Facets will open for heavyweights Ewan Pearson and KiNK (playing live) while Soul 2 Seoul hold down the Bad Room.
- Other Music announced that it will close its doors on June 25.
- Poland’s internationally beloved Unsound Festival is hosting several major events in NYC in June as part of its “Dislocation project.”
- A suspiciously named sports bar (“Tiltz”) was thought to be opening in the space formerly occupied by techno dive Wreck Room… but it turns out it’s only opening NEXT to where Wreck Room was located. #NuBrooklyn
Below are our top picks for where to dance in NYC over the next three days (as always, the most essential events are marked by **); you can also check out our calendar for the full list of what’s going on. See you on the dancefloor…
Friday, May 13
⇒ You’re a Melody: Floating Points (DJ set) with Love On the Run, Shakers & Kamui Sumido at Good Room**
⇒ Mysteries of the Deep with Panabrite, Further Reductions, William Selman, Patrick Russell & Ken Meier at a secret location
⇒ Bushwick A/V Rooftop Afters with Andres Caballero, Adrian Ravelo, Kayzee, Jordi Iven & more at a secret location
Saturday, May 14
⇒ RBMA: Technopolis with Aurora Halal (live), DUST (live), Ital (live), Galcher Lustwerk, Anthony Naples, Umfang & more at 592 Johnson
⇒ Bushwick A/V Loft Afters with Alex English, Hiyawatha, Jergo & surprise guests at a secret location
Sunday, May 15
More at the full calendar here.
Are we missing your favorite party? Hit us up here: email@example.com