Congratulations: You successfully made it out of winter! Your handsome reward comes in the form of outdoor music in all kinds of forms for the next four months or so. (Admittedly, around early July the whole “dark basement with fierce air-conditioning thing” is going to become pretty attractive again… but let’s enjoy dancing outside while the weather is actually perfect for a bit!)
It was a big week for news, so a few things to fill you in:
- TIKI DISCO IS BACK! The news is so fresh we haven’t had a chance to add dates to the calendar, but we can tell you the first one of 2013 will be at the new-ish Knockdown Center on Sunday, May 26… Check back soon for more details!
- The beloved American tradition of Cinco de Mayo takes place on a Sunday this year, so naturally be on the lookout for themed events popping up all over. Our best bet is at The Woods for Kaviar Disco Club x Let’s Play House with an early Modelo open bar, $1 tacos, and a seriously killer DJ roster that includes the likes of DJ KAOS, Jeremy Glenn, Justin Strauss, and KDC themselves. Oh, and NO COVER!
- Red Bull Music Academy’s NYC takeover has been tearing up venues all over the city with some amazing events. The next seven days continue the dancefloor assault with the likes of tonight’s Masters At Work free gig at Le Bain, Saturday’s mega-Bunker at Output, Blondes/Mike Simonetti/more at Cameo on Monday, and next Friday’s Dark Disco with a rare live set from Metro Area. If that’s not enough, they’re even partnering up with the Brooklyn Flea for tomorrow’s Record Fair at Smorgasburg, with DJ sets by James Friedman, Dan Selzer, Veronica Vasicka, James Pants & more — free to listen, but bring cash for the vinyl and eats!
- Output is slowly expanding its mini-empire on Wythe: Last Sunday afternoon saw the official opening of the club’s rooftop (hosted by ReSolute), and tonight features a nice DJ lineup at the club’s not-yet-open-for-dining restaurant, Stilton House (no cover!)
- We were expecting some exciting news from Verboten about their new music venue venture, but instead got some different exciting news about a new series of outdoor summer parties called StageONE. The first one kicks off July 4 by the Williamsburg Waterfront with Sasha, Maya Jane Coles, Bill Patrick, Davide Squillace, and Guy Gerber. More dates posting soon to our calendar!
OK, we’re totally exhausted and going to take a disco nap now. Check out our top picks for where to dance in NYC this weekend below (as always, the events that get our most glowing recommendations are marked by **), or visit the full calendar for the full list of what’s goin’ on. See you on the dancefloor!