That long-forgotten sensation of beads of sweat trickling down your neck… the familiar feeling of basking in the warm glow of your old friend, the sun… Yes, we feel pretty certain this time… SUMMER SEASON IS HERE IN NYC! Now celebrate by sleeping as much as you can for the next few weeks, since your calendar is about to be booked solid with rooftop things, boat parties, BBQ jams, and outdoor happy hours for the next four months. In the meantime, take a quick look at this week’s top dancefloor news:
- As we mentioned, you can expect the summer party season to start hitting in full force in about two weeks. This week kicked off season 2 of our favorite warm-weather weekday happy hour session, Air a Danser at Battery Harris; catch resident Steve ShakeWell making things balearic on the patio from 5pm-midnightish every Thursday, with weekly special guests. Starting May 21, you can also expect to set the right vibe for your weekend every Friday at Le Bain with the very welcome return of Select Summer Fridays with resident Project Matt. Summer Mondays’ worst enemy, Tiki Disco, also just announced its dates for the entire summer; residents Andy Pry, Eli Escobar, and Lloydski will continue their feel-good behemoth rager at The Well. And The Roof at Output is set to officially open May 16 with Roy Ayers, Rich Medina, and Free Magic (free early with RSVP)! Watch this space and we’ll keep you updated on any more summer party news, like this year’s MOMA PS1 Warm Up series and Mister Sunday’s return to the outdoors.
- Happy 5th birthday to Le Bain! Although most of our dancing takes place in Brooklyn these days, The Standard’s 18th floor and rooftop still shine as a fantastic nightlife option every weekend (and occasional weekdays), thanks to its spectacular setting and always-on-point bookings. The club is kicking off its summer-long festivities with a special night with Carl Craig and Alex From Tokyo (tonight), but promises upcoming lineups over the next few months will include the likes of DJ Harvey, Danny Tenaglia, Tiga, Derrick Carter, Deniz Kurtel, Joe Claussel, Dimitri from Paris, Farley Jackmaster Funk, Wolf+Lamb, Xinobi, and Tony Humphries. Keep an eye on our calendar for updates!
- Detroit’s Movement festival is less than two weeks away! We’re pumped to be attending this year, and soon will be sharing our picks for the best stages and afterparties to hit if you’re attending, as well as our post-festival experience and photos.
- Staying home for Memorial Day weekend? We’re giving away a pair of GA Nomad Weekend passes to this year’s Mysteryland USA in Bethel Woods, NY! Get more info on the festival and enter to win by following both Mysteryland USA and glitterballnyc on Twitter and retweeting any of our Mysteryland contest updates. (21+ only, sorry.)
- A new 13,000-sf music venue called National Sawdust is coming soon to N. 6th and Wythe in Williamsburg. Also on our radar: the mysterious (Funktion-One-fitted?) Safari Room at 17 Ingraham Street in Bushwick…
- ICYMI, we were fortunate enough to chat with Norway’s king of all things cosmic, Lindstrøm (who played a stellar set at Good Room in late April). Check out our interview here.