Two days into October and we’re faced with a potential hurricane, the need to wear a dozen layers outside, and a severe dearth of sunlight… Dance away the “summer’s gone” blues at your nearest NYC venue, but first, check out this week’s key dancefloor news:
- Hot on the heels of his gig last week at Max Celler for Down x Slow Motion Records’ 10th Anniversary (if you missed special guest Fabrizio Mammarella, you’ve got another chance to catch him at Good Room tomorrow for Let’s Play House x Fixed), our resident Facets will be playing the Été d’Amour “sunset session” at Le Bain this Sunday (Oct. 4) from 5pm until 9pm. We can’t promise the sun will actually make an appearance, but you can still take advantage of dancing in the club’s gorgeous interior to lush tunes on an excellent soundsystem — the cocktails and crepes are also pretty amazing. Stick around for the late-night portion of the program, which will feature sets by the incredible In Flagranti, Nickodemus, and special guests to be announced. (There’s no cover, but we recommend arriving early.)
- We are pretty heartbroken about the news that one of our favorite NYC venues, Cameo Gallery, will be closing its doors for good at the end of November. From dancing at sweaty disco parties to celebrating birthdays and holidays to seeing amazing live bands to catching live comedy (Louis C.K.!) to grabbing some brunch or late night food to staying up all night to catch a surprise Nico Jaar set, Cameo has been home to countless great memories dating back to our very first days in NYC. While we’ll definitely miss the on-point musical programming, we’ll miss the venue’s amazing team, helmed by owner Jify Shah, even more. Cameo promotional director Evan Weiner (a.k.a. DJ Evan Michael of Brooklyn Bass) spoke to the Village Voice about the end of an era. Until then, we’ve got two more months to make some more memories at Cameo, including some dates during CMJ (and likely BEMF).
- Last week, we told you all about BBQ Films’ BLADE RAVE, happening next Friday at Terminal 5, but in case your memory needs some refreshing, the immersive event will feature a screening of the movie, musical performances by The Crystal Method, Pictureplane, a place both wonderful and strange, and DJ Choyce Hacks, visuals by Sean Dack (a.k.a. Pixelife and half of Ghost Cop), an “epic blood rave,” and more. We also hear you can help create a video for Pictureplane’s Technomancer at the event. Use code IMMERSIVECINEMA to purchase special $45 tickets here (select “Comic-Con Discount” under Ticket Type and enter code).
- Bushwick DIY venue Silent Barn was seriously damaged in a fire last weekend. Help out by donating or volunteering to help with repairs.
- Although unlikely to become a hotspot for dancing, new Williamsburg venue National Sawdust opened this week to rave reviews.
- Time Warp US released its Phase Two lineup.
- Claire Danes was outed as a Berghain-loving techno fan this week.
Below are our top picks for where to dance in NYC over the next three days (as always, the most essential events are marked by **); you can also check out our calendar for the full list of what’s going on.
Friday, October 2
⇒ Closed Circuit IV: Headless Horseman, Shawn O’Sullivan, AnD, Ciarra Black, Peter Fonda, Scallywag b2b R Gamble at a secret Brooklyn location**
⇒ Aloha Friday with Tuff Cone, Timo Lee, Ryan Kunimura, Disco Rude & DJ Francis at La Sala at Cantina Royal**
Saturday, October 3
⇒ Let’s Play House x Fixed with Marvin & Guy, Jacques Renault, Sisterhood, Justin Miller & Fabrizio Mammarella at Good Room**
⇒ KOLEKTi: Indian Summer with Metro Area, Wolf + Lamb, Pillow Talk, Tone of Arc, Terrence Parker & more at a secret location**
⇒ Deep Space: Francois K, Prosumer & King Britt (techno set) at Output wiht Sean B, Will Automagic & Nita Aviance in The Panther Room
⇒ Psychic Surgeons release party with DJ Spider, Phil Moffa & Paul Raffaele at Bossa Nova Civic Club
Sunday, October 4
⇒ 3Bridge Records presents InTransit with Deep Woods, Eric Shans, Jay Hill & PJay at X Marks the Lot**
More at the full calendar here.
Are we missing your favorite party? Hit us up here: firstname.lastname@example.org