After a brief hiatus, we’re back and ready for fall! (Don’t worry, there’s still time to enjoy the last days of summer with loads of rooftop and outdoor parties scheduled for the next few weeks. In spite of the crisper air, you’ll still sweat plenty on the dancefloor…) We’ve got a few quick news updates for you, then we’ll jump right into our weekly recommendations.
- Looks like things are ramping up for the opening of 54 N. 11th Street in Williamsburg (a.k.a. the old Verboten space that was bought by the owners of Pacha): Open calls are now being held for a wide range of positions in the club. No official word yet on the opening date.
- Probably a bit further out (and not yet final), there’s more promising venue news: According to DNAinfo.com, Bossa Nova Civic Club owner and NYC nightlife legend John Barclay is looking to open a 1,300-person venue in East Williamsburg.
- SUSTAIN-RELEASE kicks off its third annual extravaganza today: In its new location of Camp Kennybrook, the three-day house/techno festival features both local and international favorites like DJ Sprinkles, Optimo, Honey Dijon, DJ Richard, Lena Willikens, Ital, and Aurora Halal (who also co-founded the event with Zara Wladawsky).
- Deep Space will be moving from weekly Sunday parties at Cielo to a monthly Wednesday event at Output in October.
- Save the date: SAMO Records (the new label founded by our resident, Facets) will celebrate its first release on October 22 with a pretty amazing lineup scheduled. Stay tuned for more details soon! In the meantime, enjoy both this mix Facets recently did for Throne of Blood (one of our favorite NYC labels) and the first SAMO podcast from Tunnel Signs (one of our favorite producers). Lots of good stuff for your ears in those!
Check out our top weekend dancefloor picks below (as always, the most essential events are marked by **); you can also visit our calendar for the full list of what’s going on. Catch you under the discoball…