This week has been a bit of a monster (was it just that way for us?), but we’ve got a few pieces of news to share with you before we get down to this weekend’s best events:
- WOW was last night a magnificent, magical night at Output, where legend DJ Harvey took the reverent crowd on a journey all night long. If you missed it, avoid another major faux pas and grab a ticket to Mister Sunday, where resident Justin Carter will be joined by JD Twitch of stellar Scottish duo Optimo for what is now becoming a late summer tradition in NYC.
- Time Warp US will return to NYC November 20-21; the festival’s Phase One lineup was announced this week.
- Although we sadly missed it, we did hear absolutely glowing reports from last weekend’s Sustain/Release festival. Read about everything you missed (then cry a little, then resolve to attend next year).
- Looks like we have a serious contender for album of the year… Zentrum, the long-awaited full-length by local legend Jacques Renault, just dropped this week on Let’s Play House (the label he co-heads with Nik Mercer) — and damn is it an excellent listen. Diverse in style and heavy on collaboration (Luke Jenner, Mark Verbos, The Emperor Machine, a/jus/ted’s Teddy Stuart, and partner in Runaway Marcos Cabral are among the artists featured), Zentrum expertly and effortlessly connects the very best elements of today’s dance music.
- Our friends at DoNYC just launched DoStuff, a super handy new app for finding the best things to do in NYC while you’re on the go. You can download it for free here.
- We had a blast getting balearic at Battery Harris last night, when our resident Facets joined another local favorite, Project Matt, for Air a Danser, filling in for Steve Shakewell (who will return for the party’s season finale next Thursday). Stay tuned for details on our next event, which is shaping up to be another open-air affair with a super special guest in one of our favorite NYC venues!
Below are our top picks for where to dance in NYC over the next three days (as always, the most essential events are marked by **); you can also check out our calendar for the full list of what’s going on.
Friday, September 18
⇒ LOUISAHHH!!!! EP Release Party with Lauren Flax, Young Male, Beto Cravioto & Lloydski at Good Room**
⇒ RINSED: Disruptive Patterns with Pearson Sound, Anthony Parasole, Spatial, Hank Jackson, Dan Wender & Blacky II at a secret location**
Saturday, September 19
⇒ 2nd Annual Level BBQ with Terekke, Marcos Cabral, Antenes, James Place, Ana Roman & more at a secret location**
⇒ Discwoman 1-Year Anniversary with Honey Dijon, Juliana Huxtable, Star Eyes & more at Bossa Nova Civic Club
⇒ Bushwick A/V Saturday Rooftop Afters with Cry Baby, Rissa Garcia, Dahlia, Darelectric & more at a secret location
Sunday, September 20
More at the full calendar here.
Are we missing your favorite party? Hit us up here: email@example.com